英文中奇怪的外来俗语 下
7、NOT MY CIRCUS, NOT MY MONKEY
Polish 波兰语
Not my problem.
不是我的问题。
This is certainly a more colourful way to wash your hands of a problem.
要撇清你和某个问题之间的关系,这确实是一种生动有趣的表达方式。
8、MY EYE WENT WITH ME
Maltese 马耳他语
I fell asleep.
我睡着了。
After all, your eyes can't see anything if you've fallen asleep.
毕竟,当你睡着的时候你的眼睛什么也看不见。
9、I'M SWEATING CARROTS!
Dutch 荷兰语
Literally means ‘I'm sweating very heavily'
字面意思是“我出汗很严重”
This is a slightly nicer way of saying ‘I'm sweating like a pig!'
这要比“我出汗出得像猪一样”要稍微好一些。
10、WORK IS NOT A WOLF; IT WON'T RUN OFF INTO THE WOODS.
Ukrainian 乌克兰语
You can always return to a piece of work later on.
之后你总能回到工作中去。
This is a good phrase to use on a friend who panics about assignments and chains themselves to a laptop to get them done.
这是一个很好的短语,可以用来用在那些对任务感到惊慌,并把自己锁在电脑前去完成任务的朋友们身上。
11、IT FELL BETWEEN CHAIRS
Swedish 瑞典语
When you want to say,'Yeah, I know I was supposed to do it but I forgot.'
当你想说:“是的,我知道我本应该这么做的,但是我忘了。”
This happens when two people were meant to do something, but both of them forgot all about it.
这种情况发生在两个人都打算做某事,但他们两人都忘光了的时候。
12、MY COTTAGE IS AT THE EDGE
Ukrainian 乌克兰语
Means:‘ I'm only slightly involved.'
意思:“我只是略有涉及。”
As you're only on the periphery of the problem, you're just not that worried about it.
因为你只是关系到问题的周边,所以你就没有那么担心这个问题。