英语巴士网

《金银岛》第五章 我去布里斯托尔

分类: 英语小说  时间: 2023-12-05 17:13:26 

Dr Livesey went to London,to find another doctor to look after his patients while he was away.

李甫西大夫去伦敦了,他去找人在他不在期间为他照看他的病人。

I waited at his home with Tom Redruth.

我和汤姆·雷德拉斯在他家等他。

Weeks passed, and I spent many hours studying Flint's map and dreaming of treasure.

时间过去了几周,我用了很多时间研究弗林特的藏宝图,有时梦想着得到那些宝藏。

Then a letter arrived, addressed to Dr Livesey‘or Jim Hawkins ,if the doctor is away:

不久我们收到一封寄给李甫西大夫的信。上面写着:如果大夫不在,请交吉姆·霍金斯。

Old Anchor lnn, Bristol

布里斯托尔老锚旅馆

1st March 17-

17—年3月1日

Dear Livesey,

亲爱的李甫西:

I do not know whether you are at home or in London, so Iam sending copies of this letter to both places.

我不知道你是在伦敦还是回到了家里,所以我把这封信一式两份寄到两个地方。

The ship is bought and ready for sea.

船巳购妥并装备好,正待出海。

You never saw a bet-ter ship—and with the name Hispaniola.

你无法想像比这更出色的帆船了—我们叫她伊斯帕尼奥拉号。

I got her through my old friend, Blandly, who, with everyone in Bristol, worked hard to find me a suitable ship when they heard the reason for our voyage-treasure ,I mean.

我是通过我的老朋友布兰德利搞到这条船的。在布里斯托尔,我们发掘宝藏的消息一传开,大家都乐于为我们效劳。

Dr Livesey won't like that ,I said to Tom Redruth.

李甫西大夫对此不会满意的,我对雷德拉斯说。

The squire's been talking. I read on:

乡绅到底把事情说出去了。我继续读下去:

I wanted a crew of twenty men—as we may meet pirates or enemy ships—but I had the greatest difficulty finding six.

我本想找20个船员—我们可能会遇到海盗或者敌船,可是费了很大劲才找到6个人。

Then good fortune brought me the very man that I needed.

不过上帝保佑我不费力气就找到了我最需要的那个人。

I met the man quite by accident,and we began a conversation,I learnt he was an old seaman who kept an inn,

我十分偶然地碰上这个人,然后我们就聊起来。我了解到他是个老水手,现在在这里开一家旅馆,

and he knew all the seamen in Bristol.

他认识布里斯托尔所有的海员。

The poor man had lost his health on shore and wanted to get work as a cook ,and go to sea again.

这个可怜的人在陆地上反而搞垮了身体,他想找个做厨师的活儿,以便再回到海上。

I felt sorry for him and employed him immediately, to be the ship's cook.

我听了以后十分难过,立刻把他雇用为我们船上的厨师。

Long John Silver,he is called ,and he has lost a leg fighting for his country.

他叫高个约翰,姓西尔弗。他曾在为国家而战的战斗中失去了一条腿。

Well, sir ,I thought I had only found a cook,

先生,我以为只找到了一个厨师,

but it was a crew I had discovered!

可谁想到我因此又找到了好些水手!

Between Silver and myself, we got together a crew of the toughest seamen you can imagine.

在西尔弗帮助下,我找到了一伙最强壮的水手。

I am in wonderful health, but I shall not enjoy a moment un-til my ship goes to sea.

我现在身体状况很好,但在我们的船出海之前我简直无法安下心来。

So come quickly ,Livesey , do not lose an hour!

李甫西,快来吧,一小时也不要耽搁。

And let young Hawkins go at once to say goodbye to his mother, and then come quickly to Bristol with Redruth.

让小霍金斯赶快回家和他母亲道别,由雷德拉斯陪他来布里斯托尔。

John Trelawney

约翰·屈利劳尼

PS: Blandly found us an excellent man to be captain,

布兰德利找到一个出色的船长,

and Sil-ver found a man called Arrow to be first officer.

西尔弗则找了一个叫埃罗的人做大副。又及。

Next day,I went to the Admiral Benbow and said goodbye to my mother.

第二天,我回到本葆将军客店和我妈妈道别。

I was sad to leave ,but when Redruth and I began our journey to Bristol,

我离开母亲有点伤悲,可是当我和雷德拉斯踏上去布里斯托尔的旅程时,

my thoughts turned to the voyage and the search for treasure.

我的思绪就转到了寻宝的旅途上。

Mr Trelawney was waiting for us at an inn, near the sea.

屈利劳尼先生在海边的一个旅店等我们。

Here you are!he cried when we arrived.

你们终于来了!我们到了以后他喊道。

The doctor came from London last night,so now the ship's company is complete.

现在全船的人都齐了。

We sail tomorrow!’

大夫昨天晚上从伦敦赶来了。咱们明天就出海!

After I had finished breakfast,the squire gave me a note to take to Long John Silver at the Spyglass Inn.

我吃完早点后,乡绅给了我一张纸条,让我给在望远镜酒店的高个约翰·西尔弗送去。

It was a bright little place where the customers were mostly seamen.

这是一间小巧而明亮的酒店,光顾这里的大部分是海员。

As I entered ,a man came out of a side room and I knew immediately he must be Long John.

我刚一进去,就有一个人从一间侧屋里出来,我马上认出他就是高个约翰。

His left leg was cut off above the knee and he walked with a crutch under his left shoulder.

他左腿从膝盖处锯掉,左肩下拄着一根拐杖。

He was tall and strong with a big,smiling face.

他身高体壮,笑容可掬。

Now ,when I read about Long John in Squire Trelawney's letter,

说实话,我在屈利劳尼的信中读到高个约翰这个人时,

I had been afraid he might be the one-legged seamanthat old Bill had talked about.

我就担心他是老比尔提到的那个一条腿的海员。

But one look at the man in front of me was enough.

但只看一眼眼前这个人我就知道他是个什么人了。

I knew old Bill, and Black Dog, and the blind man Pew.

我见过老比尔,黑狗和瞎子皮尤。

I thought I knew what a pirate looked like-a very different person from this clean and smiling man.

我想我知道海盗是副什么模样——完全不同于这位整洁而和善的人。

Mr Silver ,sir?I asked, holding out the note.

西尔弗先生吗?我问道,递上那张纸条。

Yes ,my boy,he said.That's my name .And who are you?And then he saw the squire's letter and looked surprised.

是的,孩子,他说,我叫西尔弗。你是谁?他看着乡绅的字条,然后叫起来:

Oh!he said loudly. I see you're our new cabin-boy.I'm pleased to meet you.

噢!你就是船上新来的服务员。很高兴认识你。

Just then, a customer got up suddenly and hurried to the door.

正在这时,一个顾客站起来匆匆向门口走去。

I recognized him as the man with only three fingers on his left hand—the one who had come to the Admiral Benbow!

我看见他左手只有三个手指—就是那个曾到过本葆将军客店的人。

Stop him!I shouted.It's Black Dog!’

抓住他!我叫起来。他是黑狗!

I don't care who he is,said Silver.

我不在乎他是谁,西尔弗说,

He hasn't paid for his drinks. Run and catch him, Harry!

但他没付账。哈里,快去抓住他!

A man jumped up and ran after Black Dog.

一个人跳起来去追黑狗。

What was his name?’asked Silver.Black what?

他叫什么名字?西尔弗问。黑什么?

Dog, sir,I said.Hasn't Mr Trelawney told you about the pirates?

狗,先生,我说。屈利劳尼先生没和你说起过海盗的事吗?

He was one of them.

他就是他们中的一个。

A pirate! I didn't know that,said Silver.

海盗!我不知道,西尔弗说。

I've seen him before, when he came with a blind man.’

我以前见过他,他曾和一个瞎子一起来过。

That was blind Pew, another pirate,I said.

那瞎子叫皮尤,也是个海盗,我说。

That was his name!said Silver.

那正是他的名字!西尔弗说。

I watched the sea cook carefully.

我仔细地打量着这位船上的厨师。

But when the man Harry came back without the pirate, Silver seemed angry and I be-lieved he was.

那个没追上海盗的哈里回来后,西尔弗似乎生气了—我确信他生气了。

I'll come with you to tell Mr Trelawney what's happened,he said.

我和你一起去找乡绅,告诉他发生了什么事,他说。

This is a serious matter.

这件事很严重。

As we walked back, Silver told me many interesting things about the ships that we passed.

我们往回走时,西尔弗给我讲了许多关于那些船的趣事。

I began to think he was going to be a good companion to have when we were at sea.

我开始想他也许是一个不错的海上伙伴。

When we got to the inn, the squire and Dr Livesey were there.

我们到酒店时,乡绅和李甫西大夫已经到了,

Long John told them about Black Dog, saying,That was how it was, wasn't it, Hawkins?

高个约翰告诉他们关于黑狗的事。他说:这就是事情的经过,对吗,霍金斯?

And I had to agree. We were all sorry about Black Dog getting away,

我只好点头称是。我们都很遗憾让黑狗跑掉了,

but there was nothing we could do.

但我们也无能为力。

All the crew must be on board by four oclock this after-noon, Trelawney told Long John.

所有船员今天下午4点钟以前在船上集合,屈利劳尼告诉高个约翰。

Right ,sir!said the sea cook, and he left us to return to his inn.

是,先生!西尔弗说,然后回他的酒店去了。

Trelawney,said Dr Livesey,I don't always think you find the best men,

屈利劳尼,李甫西大夫说,我并不认为你找到了一帮最好的船员,

but I'll say this: John Silver seems a good man.

但我应该说:高个约翰似乎是个好人。

Now, let's go and see the ship!

现在,我们去看看船吧。

猜你喜欢

推荐栏目