生命是一场荣耀的冒险
I was ten years old
那时我十岁
riding my bicycle
骑着自己的自行车
at break-neck speed
速度足以让我摔断脖子
down a hill near my home.
从家附近的山坡上向下俯冲
This was long before bike helmets were used
自行车头盔是很久之后才发明的
Only a month before
就在一个月之前
I had hit a rock in the road,
我撞到马路上的一块石头
flown over my handlebars
从车把手前面飞了出去
and smashed open my skull .
脑瓜开了瓢
I had walked home bleeding,
我浑身是血,走回了家
terrified my Mom,
吓坏了我的母亲
and gotten a trip to the hospital
去了一趟医院
to have my skull stitched shut again.
才把我的脑壳缝合好了
The memory of a boy is brief, however,
可是,小男孩都是好了伤疤忘了疼
so here I was back on my bike,
所以此刻我又在自己的自行车上了
flying fearlessly down a hill again.
义无反顾,飞也似地从山坡上往下冲
I was picking up speed
我一路加速
as I neared a curve in the road.
很快冲到马路上的一个拐弯处
I started to hit my brakes when I saw it:
直到我看到一样东西,才开始猛踩刹车
a pothole in the road.
马路上有一个大坑!
Not wanting to go flying over my handlebars again
我可不想第二次从车把手前面飞出去
I twisted my wheel
我调转车头
and stomped on my foot brakes
踩住脚下的刹车
as hard as I could.
用尽全力
I could hear the tires skidding
我听到轮胎摩擦地面的声音
as I flew off the bike.
接着就从车上飞了起来
Thankfully,
幸好
this time I landed on my back
这次我是背部着地
and in the soft grass
底下是柔软的草地
of the field along the side of the road.
原来是路边的一块草坪
I got up and laughed.
我站起来,大笑起来
I was happy to be alive
我为自己还活着感到高兴
and ready for one more ride
准备好了再骑一次
before heading home.
然后再回家
These days
如今
I am fifty one years old
我已经五十一岁了
and my bike riding days are far behind me.
骑着自行车撒野的岁月早已离我而去
I try not to stress my guardian too much these days either.
不过,我仍不敢让自己的看护人过于心力憔悴
I am sure
我很确信
I made him work hard enough when I was a boy.
当自己年少的时候,我已经给他添了够多的麻烦了
These days
如今
my adventures involve
我的冒险举动包括
hugging my boys
拥抱我的两个儿子
and petting my dogs.
轻拍我的狗
Still,
仍然
each day
每天
when I wake up in the morning
当我早上起床的时候
I am happy to be alive.
我为自己活着感到高兴
Each day when I open my eyes
每天我睁开眼睛的时候
I am ready
我都准备好了
for one more ride through this life
在这趟生命之旅中再骑一次
before heading home.
在我回“家”之前
I am not sure
我不知道
how many days, months, or years I have left
自己还剩下多少天,多少个月,抑或多少年
but I am determined
但我决心
to live them all in laughter, love and joy.
要用欢笑,爱和喜悦度过每一天
Life is a glorious adventure .
生命是一次荣耀的冒险
Its most exciting parts, though ,
不过,这旅行中最精彩的时刻
aren’t when you risk your neck.
却不是你差点摔断脖子的时候
They are when you share your heart.
而是你将自己的心意分享出去的时候
May you give your love freely,
愿你能自由的播撒自己的爱
to yourself,
愿你爱自己
and to everyone else.
也爱所有其他的人
May you make your ride through this life
希望你能让自己在这一世的旅行
a joyous one for everyone you can.
让尽可能多的人感到快乐