《英语口语王》第2部分:第三章 消极情感a
失望与绝望
真遗憾。 That’s a shame.
A: That’s a shame. Our team lost yesterday’s match.
真遗憾。我们队在昨天的比赛中输了。
B: Oh, come on. You can’t always win.
想开点儿,你们不可能总赢呀。
我搞砸了。 I screwed up.
=I messed up.
=I blew it.
我恨死我自己了。 I could kick myself, really.
A: I could kick myself, really. 我恨死我自己了。
B: If you work hard, you will be successful.
如果你努力工作,会成功的。
白费我那么多力气。 All that for nothing.
A: All that for nothing. 白费我那么多力气。
B: Don’t be so depressed. 别这么悲伤。
我对他实在很失望。 I’m really disappointed with him.
A: Has he passed the exam? 他通过考试了吗?
B: I’m disappointed with him. 我对他实在很失望。
我对他做的事情实在不满意。 I’m quite dissatisfied with what he did.
=I have displeasure with what he did.
A: I’m quite dissatisfied with what he did.
我对他做的事情实在不满意。
B: But he tried his best. 但他尽力了。
我感到很难过。 I feel really sad.
=I’m really unhappy.
我原指望会好得多。 I expected it to be much better.
A: I’m very disappointed at the new house. I expected it to be much better.
我对新房很失望,我原指望会好得多。
B: You can’t say that, David.大卫,别这么说了。
真让人失望! What a disappointment!
=What a let down!
◆It’s disappointing. 这真令人扫兴。
真令人失望! How disappointing!
A: How disappointing! We were just beginning the match when it rained.
真令人失望!我们刚刚开始比赛就下起雨来。
B: Next time we’d better listen carefully to the weather report.
下次我们最好注意听一下天气预报。
真是白费力气。 It was a waste of effort.
◆All my effort went down the drain.
我的努力全白费了。
我真傻! What a fool I was!
◆I feel such an idiot! 我真是个傻瓜!
你让我失望了。 You let me down.
A: I failed in French again. 我的法语又没及格。
B: You let me down. 你让我失望了。
我的内心充满了悲伤。 My heart has been filled with grief.
A: My heart has been filled with grief.
我的内心充满了悲伤。
B: Cheer up! 振作起来!
今天真是什么都不顺心。 Today just isn’t my day.
A: What’s wrong with you today?你今天怎么了?
B: Today just isn’t my day. 今天真是什么都不顺心。
这不是我所期望的。 It’s not what I expected.
=It’s not as good as I expected.
◆It’s expected to be much better. 我原指望它会好得多。
纯属浪费时间。 It’s a waste of time.
A: You should talk to him. 你应该和他谈谈。
B: It’s a waste of time. 纯属浪费时间。
实在没有办法。 It can’t be helped.
=There’s nothing you can do about it.
真倒霉! What luck!
A: What luck! We’ve run out of gas. 真倒霉!汽油用光了。
B: Then we’ll have to get off and run to our office because the boss may have already been there. 那我们得要下车跑到办公室去了,老板可能早到了。