COMPLIMENTING 赞美
Pay a compliment to someone赞美某人
1. I must say it is really good.
我不得不承认它非常棒。
2. I admire you for your bravery.
我敬佩你的勇气。
3. You're looking fine/nice.
你看上去很好/很美。
4. You don't look your age.
你看上去比实际年龄年轻。
5. You've lost some weight.
你瘦了。
6. I can't believe my eyes!
我真不敢相信我的眼睛。
7. How nice!
太好了!
8. Wonderful!
妙极了!
9. Your tie looks great on you.
你戴的领带很适合你。
10. You look great in that new dress.
那衣服你穿很棒。
11. That's a smart car.
那是辆很棒的车。
12. I really must express my admiration for his courage.
我必须得说我很羡慕他的勇气。
13. I think you deserve the highest praise.
我想你应该得到最高的赞美。
Responding回答
1. I'm very glad you like it.
我非常高兴你喜欢它。
2. I'm very glad you think so.
我非常高兴你这样认为。
3. Thank you. It's very nice of you to say so.
谢谢,你这样说真是太好了。
4. Thank you very much for saying so.
非常谢谢你这样说。
5. You flatter me./I'm flattered.
你恭维我。
6. How very kind of you to say so.
你这样说太好了。
Dialogue对话
1. A:What do you think of my new hat?
你认为我的新帽子怎么样?
B: It's very nice. It goes beautifully with your dress.
很好,配你的衣服很好看。
A: Thank you. It's very nice of you to say so.
谢谢,你这样说真是太好了。
B: You're welcome.
别客气。
A: My sister gave me this for my birthday.
我过生日时我姐姐送我的这顶帽子。
B: She has excellent taste.
她的品味很好。
2. A: I really like your flat. It's so neat and attractive.
我真的喜欢你的房间。它是这样的干净和讨人喜欢。
B: Thank you.
谢谢。
C: Yes.It's one of the nicest flats I’ve ever seen.
是的,这是我见过的最好的房间之一。
B: Well, thanks for saying so.
呃,谢谢你能这么说。
Note:
在受到赞美时,中西方人的表现往往不同。中国人喜欢讲究谦虚谨慎,常常回答极为中庸,而西方人仅在少数情况之下这么做,他们常常用“Thank you”来回答以示他们已接受赞美。所以讲英语时应遵循西方的用语习惯,尤其是与西方国家的人打交道时,不然他们就会被搞得一头雾水。